SDO provides financial assistance to families with bleeding disorders at the Executive Board’s discretion if funds are available. The CAP fund is used to assist families and/or individuals experiencing financial strain caused by the bleeding disorder. The expectation is that they have sought out alternative sources of funding. Due to limited funds it is necessary to have a policy in place. This policy will be reviewed annually by the Board of Directors.
Eligibility: Eligible families and/or individuals are those living in New Mexico or in transition to New Mexico. (Definition of “families” is the family/guardian/unpaid caregiver living with the person with the bleeding disorder including hemophilia, Factor Deficiency, VWD, and platelet disorders). If a board member requests CAP they must excuse themselves from the decision making.
Application: All persons requesting assistance will fill out an application either online or hard copy and submit along with supporting documentation. Supporting documents may include copies of bills, quotes for services, etc. The completed CAP form along with attachments, must be submitted to the Executive Director and/or Executive Board. The expectation is that the application is submitted at least ten days prior to when the funds are required. Emergency situations will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
- The Executive Director will screen the requests (unless another individual has been designated)
- The Executive Director or designee has the authority to approve requests up to $500.00 and must report any approval to the Executive Board.
- The Executive Board will vote on all requests above $500.00.
- The billing source (third party) will be paid directly, if possible.
- Individuals approved for a direct payment over $600.00 are legally required to complete a W9 prior to receipt of funds. Payments over $600.00 in a calendar year are considered individual income and have tax implications. It is the individual’s responsibility to report receipt of any direct payment(s) to the appropriate agency(s).
- Families may request CAP up to three (3) times in a calendar year, not to exceed a total of $750.00 during the calendar year. Any requests above the policy limits must be submitted to the Executive Board for consideration.
- All CAP requests will be approved/denied within 2 weeks of receipt of complete application.
Please fill out the form below or download the form here: Cap App Blank.pdf